Friday, September 28, 2012

Oregon Flock and Fiber Fun!

While making our way to Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival (OFFF), one of our most favorite wool and fiber shows we thought we stop and say hello to the fine folks at Les Scwhab. Well, really I ran over a nail and needed my tire fixed. Nonetheless when this bored dog owner is left to her own devices for entertainment, what does she do????  Why yes, she turns to her dogs. Zeke would absolutely have nothing to do with wearing sun glasses he actually moved all the way to the end of his leash so I couldn't reach him!! My Sally girl though was all about it!! Posing for the customers as they came and went. Very cute!!  Oh Sally, you ARE a little diva!!!
























My ducks and are part of the "flock" of Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival. Every year, for the past few, we have entertained the crowd with some pretty funny herding demos. Much to everyone's surprise we herd ducks instead of sheep! Not all go as planned but all certainly aim to please and definitely give all spectators a great chuckle. This year was no exception as both dogs earned giggles and applause from the crowd. Zeke and Sally did well, it's a bit of pressure working in a small space and in a different environment. What it did show me is they certainly will and can work under rather different if not silly situations.  I can't tell you the last time I put my sheep through an agility tunnel!!  My desire is to put on a demonstration that is not only fun to watch but also educational.  My hope is that people see how valuable it is to a shepherd to have dogs that efficiently and effectively move stock. 

If you go to http://countrytraveleronline.com/2012/09/25/herding-ducks/ you can see a delightful articule written about our duck herding demo.  THANK YOU JAN for the great articule!!!!

This year was a little different as we did not show sheep, but we did sell our shetland sheep wool in roving and yarn.  The response from the customers was overwhelming and very validating that we are on the right track with combining fibers to make one heck a great yarn.  Who could say no to a chocolately brown shetland fleece from Bridget when she is blended with alpaca and silk? Certainly not me.  It's a good thing they grow more as this blend I was particularly fond of.  Now its time to contemplate next years blends, oh the possibilities!!! 

Here is a little ram lamb that we wil be watching as he grows up.  He lives at Nutshell Farm, here's hoping he will come visit our farm next year.  I love that cream colored bib


No comments:

Post a Comment